Monday, March 30, 2020

Grandpa vs. Natalie...Zooming

One of the more fascinating concepts the past several weeks has been video conferencing. We support all formats over here at the Cortez house (Zoom, Facetime, Google Hangouts, Skype, etc.), basically whatever format we get invited to from friends, teachers and family. The most consistent one seems to Zoom. I think at the end of this past weekend every device in the house now has the app and we are all fairly proficient. Highlight for me was definitely watching the Sunday morning practice session between Grandpa (almost age 70) and Natalie (almost age 8). Grandpa was slow and steady wanting to know exactly how the app worked (gallery view vs. who is talking view, etc) and Natalie had more of a pinball wizard approach (how do I text on this thing? How does my voice sound in my headphones? where is the screen where I see myself?)...They both learned the app and all in all,  it is really amazing how this technology can connect a 62 year age gap between Grandpa and Natalie...Reminds me a bit of my first year in college and the early days of email...

This weekend we used video conferencing to talk to the entire extended family, friends from Malibu, Seattle and New York. And we even tried to recreate a wedding that we were supposed to be in Mexico for this weekend. For the next month or two, Zoom us any time, we will be home :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment